We are all sick and tired of what marketing and media are saying to our girls:
- Sexualized dolls with huge lips, impossible waistlines and inappropriate clothing.
- Lack of diversity in the portrayal of body types, skin color and racial features.
- Girl characters being portrayed as weak, passive, shrinking violets, shallow, dependent, objectified, sexualized …
- Highly segregated marketing abusing the pink and blue labels to peddle old definitions of gender to our children. Girl equals pink and pink equals mostly products that tell her that her worth comes from her looks.
- The lack of stories where girls are leaders, are heroes, are scientists, athletes, strong, independent, courageous, adventurous, bold…
How can we be surprised when studies tell us that:
- there is a significant increase of body hate and eating disorders;
- that girls continue to stay away from leadership, science, technology, engineering, math, sports;
- that sexual violence is increasing all over the world.
We have been working on a solution!
Welcome to TowardTheStars, the global marketplace for empowering gifts for girls.
TowardTheStars is not your typical ecommerce website, it a movement comprised of businesses, independent producers, not-for-profits and loving adults that decided to band together in defence of healthy girlhood.
This venue was created with one single purpose: to help reduce all threats to girlhood that crush our girls’ true nature and potential. This tribe of social entrepreneurs focuses on upending gender stereotypes that only make girls obsess about body image, prevent them from taking leadership roles, limit their interests in sciences and math, and cause them to feel self-conscious when playing sports.
Every entrepreneur that joins TowardTheStars agrees to a set of very strict and highly inspirational guidelines of what can be sold in this marketplace, TowardTheStars welcomes products that counter stereotypes, gender neutral items, as well as items that contribute to the health and wellbeing of girls all over the world.
The sellers at TowardTheStars don’t compromise on their values in pursuit of easy profit. TowardTheStars is a safe haven in a world overwhelmed with corporations that constantly stereotype and sexualize girls for easy profit.
TowardTheStars launched on the 11th of October 2012, the international day of the girl and already includes hundreds of shops and products from amazing entrepreneurs that are leading a growing global movement to change the way we think about girlhood:
“This venue does not belong to one single person” says Inês Almeida, the founder of TowardTheStars, “it is a shared space for our community, where we bring together parents, educators, entrepreneurs and activists, anyone can join, anyone can setup a shop, we are united by our commitment to create a better world for all our children”.
Inês is asking for your help and support:
“I don’t know about you but I am tired of fighting big corporations that market horrible products to our kids, I prefer to focus all my energy in recognizing and rewarding the people that are innovating, ideating, creating some major girl power goodness. As we get closer to the festive season, please bookmark this venue for your Christmas shopping and share widely with family and friends”